Primary Products Inspector
Inspects animals, plants, agricultural produce and facilities to ensure conformity with government and industry standards with respect to quality, health and licensing.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- inspects animals, plants and agricultural produce to identify product quality issues and provides advice to producers
- audits and monitors quality procedures at farms, food handling and food processing facilities to ensure compliance with required standards
- tests samples of produce for quality, size and purity
- ensures that required standards of hygiene are observed at storage, processing and packing facilities and in transport vehicles
- advises primary producers on economic aspects of disease eradication and informs producers and the general public of the health implications of diseases and impurities
- advises on the identification of pests and diseases and on regulations pertaining to grading, packing and loading of products
- may examine imported plants and animals, and products such as timber, seeds and dried fruits and make quarantine arrangements
- may initiate or assist in legal action to enforce regulations
Dairy Quality Assurance Officer
Fruit and Vegetable Inspector