Performs eye examinations and vision tests to determine the presence of visual, ocular and other abnormalities, and prescribes lenses, other optical aids or therapy.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- examines patients' eyes and sets visual tests to determine the nature and extent of vision problems and abnormalities
- prescribes and may dispense lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids and check suitability and comfort
- detects, diagnoses and manages eye disease and refers patients to, and receives referrals from other health providers
- provides advice on visual issues such as contact lens care, vision-care of the elderly, optics, visual ergonomics, occupational and industrial eye safety and research
- may dispense lenses, contact lenses and low vision aids
- may advise patients on eye exercises to correct defective eye muscles and on lighting and visual habits