Supervises and controls inmates in prisons and other correctional institutions.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience.
- observes the conduct and behaviour of prisoners, to prevent disturbances and escapes
- inspects and maintains the security of locks, window bars, grilles, doors and gates
- supervises prisoners during work assignments, recreational periods, sports and meals
- assists with the implementation of programs organised for prisoners
- searches prisoners and cells for weapons, drugs or contraband items
- patrols assigned areas and reports breaches of rules, unsatisfactory attitudes or prisoner adjustment problems
- requisitions prisoners' clothing, toilet articles, reading material or other allowable items
- supervises prisoners in transit between courts, prisons and other facilities
- prepares admission and other reports
- may be required to administer first aid
- may manage a wing or prison area and supervise the work of other prison officers