UNIT GROUP 4122 STRUCTURAL STEEL AND WELDING TRADESPERSONS
STRUCTURAL STEEL AND WELDING TRADESPERSONS cut, shape, join and repair metal parts of iron and steelwork structures, pressure pipes, ships, boilers or other vessels.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- cutting marked-out metal sections and shapes using hand tools, flame cutting torches or metal cutting machines
- shaping and bending metal sections and pipes using hand and machine tools or by heating and hammering
- aligning parts to be joined using hand tools and measuring instruments
- joining metal sections by using various welding techniques, bolting or riveting
- cleaning and smoothing welds by filing, chiselling and grinding