3303.0.55.001 - Causes of Death, Australia: Doctor Certified Deaths, Summary Tables, 2011 Quality Declaration 
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 21/11/2012   
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All  
Contents >> Overview >> Doctor Certified Deaths

DOCTOR CERTIFIED DEATHS

Of all deaths registered in 2011, 129,993 (88.5%) were certified by a doctor. The remainder were reportable deaths, certified by a coroner (11.5%).

Males accounted for 64,022, or 49.3% of all doctor certified deaths registered in 2011, with females accounting for the remaining 65,971 (50.7%). In contrast, males accounted for a higher proportion of coroner certified deaths (11,308 or 66.8%) compared to females (5,631 or 33.2%). The median age at death for doctor certified deaths registered in 2011 was 82.8 years, whereas the median age at death for coroner certified deaths registered in 2011 was substantially lower at 59.4 years (see Table 4).

State and Territory Doctor Certified Deaths

The proportion of deaths certified by a doctor varies between jurisdictions, as can be seen in Table 1. In 2011, Northern Territory had the lowest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor at 72.2%. South Australia had the next lowest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor at 83.9%. New South Wales had the highest proportion of deaths certified by a doctor with 90.7%. The proportions for all jurisdictions in 2011 were comparable with the proportions in 2010.

Table 1. Deaths, by Certifier type, State and territory of usual residence, 2011(a)


Doctor
Coroner
Total
no.
%
no.(b)
%
no.

NSW(c)
45 950
90.7
4 711
9.3
50 661
Vic.
32 085
87.8
4 467
12.2
36 552
Qld
24 558
89.6
2 856
10.4
27 414
SA
10 624
83.9
2 041
16.1
12 665
WA
10 829
85.1
1 895
14.9
12 724
Tas.
3 806
89.7
439
10.3
4 245
NT
696
72.2
268
27.8
964
ACT
1 438
84.6
262
15.4
1 700
Aust.(d)
129 993
88.5
16 939
11.5
146 932

(a) Data cells with small values have been randomly assigned to protect the confidentiality of individuals. As a result, some totals will not equal the sum of their components. Cells with a zero value have not been affected by confidentialisation.
(b) Coroner certified deaths data for 2011 are preliminary and subject to a revisions process. See Explanatory notes 35-39 and Technical Notes: Causes of Death Revisions, 2006, and Causes of Death Revisions, 2008 and 2009.
(c) See Explanatory Note 36 for more information about the number of death registrations in New South Wales.
(d) Includes Other territories.



Previous PageNext Page