3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Mar 2005
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 22/09/2005
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
Australia's population now 20.3 million
Australia's population increased to 20.3 million in March 2005, according to figures released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
In the year ended March 2005, Australia's population increased by 230,300 people, representing an annual growth rate of 1.1%. This is consistent with levels recorded in recent years.
Natural increase (the excess of births over deaths) in the year ended March 2005 was 120,300 people, and comprised 52% of total population growth over this period. Net overseas migration (110,000 people) contributed the remaining 48%.
All states and territories gained population in the year ended March 2005, with Queensland experiencing the largest increase (76,900 people) and the Australian Capital Territory the smallest (1,200 people).
Western Australia's population passed 2 million people during the March quarter 2005. This milestone was achieved with the population increasing by 9,800 (0.5%) since 31 December 2004. Net overseas migration was the main contributor to WA's growth (57.9%), followed by natural increase and net interstate migration.
Further details about recent trends in Australia's population were released today in Australian Demographic Statistics, March quarter 2005 (cat. no. 3101.0).
These documents will be presented in a new window.
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram