CONTENT OF THE 2015-16 AGRICULTURAL CENSUS
ABS has developed a list of core content to be collected through the 2015-16 Agricultural Census. These core data items are funded through the ABS program budget and the ABS invites comment on these items along with submissions on additional content which may be considered on a user-pays basis. The list has been developed taking into account:
- feedback from recent formal consultations with users on their data requirements (including from the NASR, consultations on content for the annual survey program, and preceding reviews including the ABS Rural Environment and Agriculture Survey Program Review 2011-12); and
- intelligence gathered through the ABS’ Rural Environment and Agriculture Survey Program’s ongoing engagement program with stakeholders across government, industry and the research sector.
In determining which data requirements should be included on the 2015-16 Agricultural Census, ABS considers the following criteria:
- The relevance of the data need (the extent to which it informs the Enduring Goals for Australian Agriculture);
- The relative priority of the data need (the extent to which it informs high-priority national and state and territory policy requirements, and the relative utility of the data to a wide range of stakeholders);
- The need to minimise respondent burden (considering whether there are other data sources that could provide the information without imposing additional burden; and/or whether collecting the information on the Agricultural Census may impose excessive burden); and
- The suitability of the Agricultural Census as a vehicle for collecting the information.
The draft content of the Agricultural Census is included in Appendix B.