This section provides information about selected population characteristics collected in the 2017-18 NHS. Population characteristics are important in aiding the comparison of different groups within the population, for example across age, income levels or geographic locations. These characteristics can be linked with the health data obtained in the survey to analyse the health status and other health characteristics of particular groups in the community, e.g. overseas born, the aged, low income earners.
Population characteristics collected in the 2017-18 NHS include:
- Demographic characteristics
- Labour force characteristics
- Income sources
- Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) client status
- Housing tenure
- Household and family characteristics
- Geographic classifications
- Geospatial information.