2900.0 - Census of Population and Housing: Understanding the Census and Census Data, Australia , 2016  
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 08/11/2017  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product

Imputation Flag for Number of Males and Females in Dwelling (IFNMFD)

This variable indicates dwellings for which no form has been received and where all persons required all demographic characteristics (age, registered marital status and place of usual residence) to be imputed and other variables to be set to 'Not stated' or 'Not applicable' as appropriate. This variable is applicable to all occupied private dwellings.

How this variable is created

Most occupied private dwellings (95.1%) return a completed form so the number of persons, by sex, is known. The number of males and females was imputed for the remaining 4.9% of occupied private dwellings and this variable identifies these dwellings.

Imputation Flag for Number of Males and Females in Dwelling variable categories are shown below.


    1
    Persons not imputed into dwelling
    2 Persons imputed into dwelling
    @ Not applicable

More information about imputation can be found in the 2016 Census Dictionary.

Variable history

This variable was first used in the 2006 Census. The categories for this item were changed for 2016 due to the changes in dwelling enumeration.

Non-response rate

Non-response rate only applies to data items that directly reflect responses to individual Census form questions. This imputation flag does not have a non-response rate as it is used to indicate whether the number of males and females were imputed during Census processing for applicable households. For more information, refer to Understanding Census data quality.

Data usage notes


In previous Censuses field officers would collect information on number of males and females in residence during their visits to the dwelling. This information would be recorded in their collector record books and could be used instead of imputation in the event that there was no response from the dwelling. This information was not collected during the 2016 census and if a dwelling did not respond the only option was to impute the number of males and females based on similar dwellings. This flag is set during census processing.

Further information

A definition of Imputation Flag for Number of Males and Females is available in the 2016 Census Dictionary.