There are a number of ways that users requiring further information or who have general questions about the Census can get information and help.
The Census pages on ABS website provide:
- general information about the Census
- detailed information on specific data items
- guidance as to which product best suits a user's data needs
- help, FAQs and tutorials about how to use the website products and understanding Census data.
for further information.
If users are unable to find what they need on the ABS website, they can call the National Information and Referral Service
on 1300 135 070.
CUSTOMISED DATA SERVICES
What are they and who are they for?
Customised Data Services are for users who are unable to find the data they need on-line in the format they require. Users are able to request customised datasets via the on-line Information Consultancy Form
. This is a charged service (in accordance with Commonwealth Cost Recovery Guidelines and ABS Pricing Policy
Customised Data Services suits those who:
What is available?
- want more detailed information than that available in the on-line products
- do not want to spend time extracting the data available on-line free-of-charge
- choose not to use TableBuilder
- would like an ABS expert to validate their TableBuilder output
- want historical Census data that is not available on-line
- want data in a different format or layout to what is available on-line.
Customised Data Services include:
- output created and validated by an ABS data expert
- historical Census data
- output based on ASGC, ASGS (excluding Mesh Block) and a range of other geographic classifications
- data on a specific population of interest
- customised data formats not available from on-line products
- detailed cross-classified data using all output variables specified in the Census Dictionary
- training programs aimed at developing statistical skills to help make the best use of ABS information.
The following are NOT available through Customised Data Services:
When will it be available?
- Census data at Mesh Block level or any form of customised aggregation of Mesh Block units. Information collected on the Census form for processing purposes only, such as date of birth information
- data that is considered of insufficient quality, such as tables that are sparsely populated or low count cells.
Requests for customised data can be submitted at any time. The 'Advanced Ordering Service' will be available where users can specify request requirements prior to 2016 data release, so they have access to the data as soon as it is available.