The Technology Services Program provides strong leadership in innovation through new approaches and application of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to support ABS business.
The key objectives for the Technology Services Program are to:
- provide effective technology support to statistical programs and the ABS workforce
- ensure the ABS leverages information technology strategically to support its mission and enable transformation
- ensure the ABS has effective and compliant security policies, practices and procedures
- represent the ABS and build strategic relationships in the broader ICT industry, government and international statistical communities in relation to ICT and security matters
- ensure consistency with, and support to, whole of government technology strategies for e-Government and the digital economy
- ensure sustainability of ICT investments and services through building and maintaining a highly capable and motivated ICT workforce.
The main outputs of the program are:
- the delivery of enterprise wide technology solutions to support statistical and business processes for the ABS
- the delivery of consistent and measurable services for business and application analysis, design, programming, acquisition and commissioning services to help improve ABS business processes
- the provision of reliable, cost effective and secure technology infrastructure, library and knowledge management services.
The main medium-term developments in the program are to:
- implement and migrate business processes onto the Metadata Registry and Repository and Business Process Management system - due July 2015
- improve the quality of metadata classification across the ABS via the metadata authoring environment project - due July 2015
- source or design/build new tools to support a Statistical Enterprise Data Management Environment - due July 2015
- implement server based computing and mobile technologies to enable flexible office spaces and remote working for the future (End User Computing environment) - due July 2015
- implement a Learning Management System to manage learning in the ABS environment - due July 2015
- develop an enterprise solution for External Identity Access Management - due July 2015
- provide an upgraded Financial Management System - due July 2016
- provide ICT services and systems for the 2016 Census of Population and Housing and continued development for dissemination products - due July 2017
- provide technology solutions to support ABS transformation and the ABS 2017 program of work - due July 2017
- develop enterprise wide approaches to ICT systems and services in the ABS - ongoing
- undertake security programs improvements to meet new business requirements, ICT services and government compliance - ongoing
- lead and support ABS innovation initiatives - ongoing
- strengthen internal processes and approaches through the adoption of industry standards - ongoing.
First Assistant Statistician
Technology Services Division