ABS 2017 INFORMATION INFRASTRUCTURE
The ABS 2017 Information Infrastructure Program is responsible for designing and developing the next generation of statistical information infrastructure which, once implemented across ABS collections, will allow the ABS to transform the way its business is undertaken. This program will provide a platform for ABS to reduce costs and burden on providers, bring together various datasets to develop new statistical products more rapidly and make data available in a form which can be easily used.
The objective of the program is to lead the design, development and implementation of:
- information management governance, infrastructure and standards
- metadata driven processes that encompass the life cycle management of data and metadata assets.
This infrastructure will lay the platform for ABS business processes to be metadata driven
from end-to-end, within a common data management framework. The application of standards based statistical information, in conjunction with the re-engineering of business processes, will greatly increase re-use and automation of end-to-end statistical processes. This will reduce the number of labour intensive manual tasks, which have resulted from incompatibilities between systems and processes.
The program has the following main outputs:
- core infrastructure for the management of data and metadata
- the statistical workflow management system
- information management frameworks, standards and governance.
The main medium-term developments are to:
- develop and implement a Metadata Registry and Repository to provide end-to-end management, registration, storage and re-use of ABS metadata - due June 2018
- develop and implement an Enterprise Data Management Environment to provide life cycle management of statistical data - due June 2018
- develop and implement a statistical workflow management system to facilitate the design, creation and orchestration of statistical processes - due June 2018
- develop and implement a Statistician's Workbench, which will allow staff to access the core infrastructure for the management of data and metadata - due June 2018
- collaborate with international organisations on the development and refinement of international metadata models and frameworks, and co-develop joint statistical infrastructure - due progressively through to June 2018.
Information Infrastructure Office