The ABS' purpose is to inform Australia’s important decisions by partnering and innovating to deliver relevant, trusted and objective data, statistics and insights.
The ABS is Australia’s national statistical agency, providing trusted official statistics on a wide range of economic, social, population and environmental matters of importance to Australia.
The ABS also has an important leadership role, to maximise the use of public data for statistical purposes. In addition, the ABS provides technical advice, develops standards and provides assistance to the Commonwealth, state and territory governments in relation to statistics.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics Act 1975 and the Census and Statistics Act 1905 are the principal pieces of legislation that set out the primary functions, duties and powers of the ABS.
• The Australian Bureau of Statistics Act 1975 establishes the ABS as an independent statutory authority, legislates our main function to be the central statistical authority for the Australian Government and provide services for the state and territory governments.
• The Census and Statistics Act 1905 empowers the Australian Statistician to collect statistical information on a broad range of demographic, economic, environmental and social topics and contains strong provisions to maintain the confidentiality of information collected under the Act.
We uphold the Australian Public Service Values:
- Impartial-we are apolitical and provide the Australian Government with frank, honest and timely advice which is based on the best evidence available
- Committed to service-we are professional, objective, innovative and efficient. We work collaboratively to achieve the best results for the Australian community and Government
- Accountable-we are open and accountable to the Australian community under the law and within the framework of ministerial responsibility
- Respectful-we respect all people, including their rights and heritage
- Ethical-we demonstrate leadership, are trustworthy and act with integrity in all we do
We have an inclusive culture that brings out the best in all our people, enabling us to increase our impact through outstanding service delivery. We are customer focused, collaborative, accountable, agile, innovative and self-aware.