ABS CORPORATE PLAN 2017-18
The ABS Corporate Plan 2017-18 outlines our priorities and goals for 2017-18 and the outlook for the forward estimates period until 2020-2021. As required under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013, this plan is relevant to ABS day-to-day operations and defines how we will measure performance. It is the central component of the ABS planning and performance framework. It will be monitored internally throughout the year, reported upon publicly in the ABS Annual Report, and updated annually.
ABOUT THE ABS
The ABS purpose is to inform Australia's important decisions by partnering and innovating to deliver relevant, trusted, objective data, statistics and insights.
As the central statistical authority for the Australian Government and provider of statistical services to the states and territories, the ABS seeks to deliver the most public value we can from the resources we receive through:
- providing the statistical information that Australia needs
- responding to the changing information priorities of our stakeholders
- enhancing the ways that we interact with our stakeholders
- developing and maintaining community trust, which is fundamental to our ability to collect high quality information
- enabling effective and safe use of our statistics
- coordinating and advising official bodies on statistics, including developing, and ensuring compliance with, statistical standards
- fulfilling our role as an Accredited Integrating Authority
- building our capacity to take advantage of opportunities, such as advances in technology, big data, and use of administrative information for statistical purposes
Our Strategic Priorities
To achieve our purpose, the ABS is focusing on three priorities to meet Australia's contemporary and emerging statistical needs over the coming years:
- ensuring cost-effect operations, including better utilising existing information, collecting information more efficiently, streamlining processes, and reducing the impact on those who provide statistical information.
Our highest priority is to deliver high quality official statistics. To ensure that we can deliver relevant, trusted, objective statistics, we are transforming the ABS and partnering with our stakeholders to innovate, develop and implement new statistical solutions.
In delivering our services to the community, we uphold the Australian Public Service Values.
- providing high quality official statistics
- transforming the ABS for the future
- delivering new statistical solutions to maximise the value of public data.
- Impartial - we are apolitical and provide the Australian Government with frank, honest and timely advice which is based on the best evidence available.
- Committed to service - we are professional, objective, innovative and efficient. We work collaboratively to achieve the best results for the Australian community and Government.
- Accountable - we are open and accountable to the Australian community under the law and within the framework of ministerial responsibility.
- Respectful - we respect all people, including their rights and heritage.
- Ethical - we demonstrate leadership, are trustworthy and act with integrity in all we do.