TRANSFORMING FOR THE FUTURE
In the context of a dynamic information environment; growing customer expectations; and an environment where we need to be more efficient and innovative - organisational transformation is the key to unleashing the power of statistics for a better Australia.
Over the next five years, the ABS will implement a wide reaching transformation program, supported by a new structure and governance arrangements, and substantial Government investment in modernising our infrastructure. Transformation will enable the ABS to engage better with partners, develop more responsive solutions, make the best use of technologies, and be a high performing organisation.
We collaborate with stakeholders to understand and respond better to the current and future external environment.
Our strategies enable rigorous statistics, strong partnerships, and effective use of resources.
Our governance supports responsive decision making, prioritisation and management of enterprise risk.
We have a diverse, expert, motivated and agile workforce.
We are high performing, aligned, engaged, innovative and accountable.
Our infrastructure is effective, efficient and adaptable.
THE 2015-16 TRANSFORMATION AGENDA
Over the next 12 months, the ABS will focus on delivering a number of initiatives against the transformation goals. Progress will be monitored and the agenda updated annually over the planning period to reflect contemporary priorities.
We collaborate with stakeholders to understand and respond better to the current and future external environment
- Respond to the APSC Capability Review, which challenges us to be more open and responsive to meeting stakeholder needs and expectations.
- Work with governments and the community to increase support and appetite for maximising the value of public data through data sharing, re-use and integration.
Our strategies enable rigorous statistics, strong partnerships, and effective use of resources
- Manage risk during our transformation so that we continue to deliver high quality official statistics.
- Deliver responsive solutions across people and economic statistics that meet stakeholder needs.
- Increase investment in partnerships, statistical leadership and high value-added statistical activities funded through savings in other ABS processes.
Our governance supports responsive decision making, prioritisation and management of enterprise risk
- Simplify and streamline governance to enable transparent and responsive decision making, flexible resource allocation and efficient issues and risk management.
- Review policies and legislation to ensure that they are enabling and fit-for-purpose.
- Deliver maximum value in our use of public money through robust prioritisation, informed through consultation with key stakeholders.
We have a diverse, expert, motivated and agile workforce
- Build and invest in a high performing workforce able to meet future capability needs.
- Embrace diversity of skills, thinking and experiences of staff.
- Motivate and challenge staff and provide a working environment that supports productive and flexible ways of working.
We are high performing, aligned, engaged, innovative and accountable
- Provide leadership which sets clear expectations and accountabilities, empowers staff, values and capitalises on diversity, encourages collaboration and manages for high performance.
- Communicate effectively with staff and stakeholders to build commitment and facilitate contribution across all aspects of the transformation agenda.
Our infrastructure is effective, efficient and adaptable
- Deliver on government expectations in developing contemporary, efficient and sustainable infrastructure.
- Re-engineer end-to-end business processes and deliver agile, flexible infrastructure to support responsive statistical solutions.
- Expand digital initiatives to meet changing user, provider and producer needs and expectations.