3302.0.55.005 - Information Paper: Death registrations to Census linkage project - Key Findings for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, 2011-2012  
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 15/11/2013  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All RSS Feed RSS Bookmark and Share Search this Product  
Contents >> Linkage Results

LINKAGE RESULTS

The Indigenous Mortality Project involved the linkage of death registrations to Census records, for the 12 month period following the 2011 Census of Population and Housing. Nationally, 153,455 death registrations were available for linkage to the Census records, with a linkage rate of 93% achieved. While the linkage rate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people was lower (80%), it represented an improvement on the equivalent 2006 quality study linkage rate (74%).

Of the 142,697 death registration records that were successfully linked to 2011 Census records 2,490 had an Indigenous status that was reported as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander on either the Census or the death registration record, or both.

Of the 2,490 linked records for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, 1,550 (62%) were reported to be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin on both their death registration and Census records. There were 606 (24%) records for people identified as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin on their Census record, but who were not reported as such on the death registration record. The remaining 334 records (13%) were for people identified as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin on their death registration, but not on their Census record.

FIGURE 1: CENSUS DATA ENHANCEMENT DEATH REGISTRATIONS TO CENSUS LINKAGE PROJECT, 2011–12, Linkage results


Diagram showing the linkage results of the Census Data Enhancement death registrations to Census linkage project 2011-12

(a) Excludes residents temporarily overseas on Census night, imputed records and Census net undercount adjustment.
(b) Deaths that occurred on or after 10 August 2011 and were registered by 27 September 2012.
(c) Includes Indigenous status not stated.


In Table 1, the linked records are presented by Indigenous status as reported in the Census and death registration collections. Of the 606 death registrations where the person was recorded as being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander origin in the Census only, 578 (95%) were identified as a non-Indigenous person on the death registration. The remaining 28 records (5%) were recorded as 'Indigenous status not stated'. Among the 334 death registrations where the person was identified as being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander on the death registration only, 275 (82%) were reported to be a non-Indigenous person in the Census. The remaining 59 (18%) were recorded as 'Indigenous status not stated'.


TABLE 1: LINKED DEATH REGISTRATION AND CENSUS RECORDS, by Indigenous status, 2011–12

Indigenous status as reported on Census record

Indigenous status as reported on death registration record
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
Non-Indigenous
Not stated
Total records
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanderno.
1 550
275
59
1 884
Non-Indigenousno.
578
133 019
6 440
140 037
Not statedno.
28
707
41
776
Total recordsno.
2 156
134 001
6 540
142 697



For the Indigenous Mortality Project there was a small shift from the identification pattern in the 2006 quality study towards differential reporting of Indigenous status, where being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander was reported on the person’s Census record only (up from 20% to 24%). This was in keeping with an increase in the count of Aboriginal and Torres Strait people in the 2011 Census (for more information see Census of Population and Housing: Understanding the Increase in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Counts, 2006–2011, cat. no. 2077.0).

TABLE 2: LINKED DEATH REGISTRATION AND CENSUS RECORDS FOR ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER PEOPLE — 2006–07 and 2011–12

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander on both records
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander on Census record only
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander on death registration record only
Total linked records
no.
%
no.
%
no.
%
no.
%




2006–07
1 056
64.0
323
19.6
271
16.4
1 650
100.0
2011–12
1 550
62.2
606
24.3
334
13.4
2 490
100.0



Previous PageNext Page