SUMMARY OF OPERATIONS
At the end of June 2010, there were 28,374 general practice medical businesses operating in Australia. These businesses:
- operated from 39,509 locations servicing a population of 22.3 million people at the end of June 2010;
- employed or contracted 61,651 registered medical/health practitioners and other staff providing health care;
- generated income of $14.7b during the 2009-10 financial year;
- incurred expenses of $10.2b in the same period;
- generated operating profit before tax of $4.5b; and
- generated industry value added of $8.9b.