NAME OF COLLECTION
Export Price Index
Export Price Index
Producer Price Indexes Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Locked Bag 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 02 6252 6519
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6252 7060
Web site: <www.abs.gov.au>
To produce index numbers which measure changes in the prices of exports of merchandise from Australia.
The Export Price Index numbers for each quarter relate to prices of those exports of merchandise that are physically shipped from Australia during that quarter. The Index includes re-exports of merchandise (that is, goods which are imported into Australia and exported at a later date without physical transformation).
The commodities directly represented in the Export Price Index (the index items) were selected on the basis of their export values in 1999-2000. They constituted approximately 95% of the total value of exports of merchandise from Australia that year.
In general, prices are obtained from major exporters of the selected items included in the index. The point of pricing for the Export Price Index is the point at which the goods physically leave Australia, i.e. prices are on a 'free on board' basis at main Australian ports of export.
Main data detail
Some of the data items available are:
- Export Price Index by selected Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC) industry of origin Divisions (including ANZSIC Division B Mining) and Subdivisions (including ANZSIC Subdivisions 11 Coal mining and 13 Metallic ore mining)
- contribution of selected Australian Harmonised Export Commodity Classification (AHECC) Sections (including AHECC Section 05 Mineral products) to the All Groups Export Price Index
- contribution of Selected ANZSIC Subdivisions (including ANZSIC Subdivisions 11 Coal mining and 13 Metallic ore mining) to the All Groups Export Price Index;
- Export Price Index by selected AHECC Sections (including AHECC Section 05 Mineral products)
- Export Price Index by selected Standard International Trade Classification (SITC) Sections (including SITC Section 3 Mineral fuels, lubricants and other related materials)
- Export Price Index by Balance of Payments Groups: Non-rural goods (including Metal ores and minerals; Coal, coke and briquettes; Other minerals; Metals)
Frequency of data availability
Quarters ended 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December.
Data are available from 1974-75.
Products and services
Example of information available
EXPORT PRICE INDEX(a), BY SELECTED ANZSIC INDUSTRY OF ORIGIN - AUSTRALIA
|Agriculture, forestry and fishing|
|Metallic ore mining|
|Food, beverages and tobacco|
|Petroleum, coal, chemical and associated products|
(a) Base of each index: 1989-90 = 100.0