NAME OF COLLECTION
Petroleum Exploration, Development and Production Statistics
Petroleum Technical Advice Group
Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources
GPO Box 378
CANBERRA ACT 2601
Telephone: Canberra 02 6249 9270
Facsimile: Canberra 02 6249 9962
Web site: <http://www.ga.gov.au>
To provide upstream petroleum statistics including wells and metres drilled, onshore and offshore exploration, development and production expenditure, origin of funds and seismic survey activity.
Each year all operators, owners and interest holders of exploration and development petroleum titles both onshore and offshore Australia are requested to voluntarily respond to a mail questionnaire.
Main data detail
The main output publications of this data are the Petroleum Exploration and Development Activity quarterly report and the annual Oil & Gas Resources of Australia. This publication includes extensive information on oil and gas resources in Australia in addition to the data specified above. It includes:
- onshore and offshore petroleum exploration and development activities; and
- onshore and offshore petroleum exploration, development and production expenditure and the estimated origin of these funds.
Onshore and offshore Australia including the Territory of the Ashmore and Cartier Islands and the Timor Gap Joint Petroleum Development Area (JPDA) previously referred to as the Zone of Cooperation which is located between Australia and East Timor.
- exploration activity;
- identified minerals;
- undiscovered resources;
- current production of oil and gas;
- crude oil and condensate forecasts;
- sufficiency of crude oil and condensate resources; and
- petroleum data availability and information.
Frequency of data availability
Petroleum exploration and development activity data are available on a quarterly basis. Petroleum exploration, development and production expenditure data are available on an annual basis.
For petroleum exploration and development activity data - quarters ended 31 March, 30 June, 30 September and 31 December. For petroleum exploration, development and production expenditure data - years ended 31 December.
Data are available from 1961.
Products and services
- Australian Petroleum Exploration and Development Activity (quarterly report)
- Oil and Gas Resources of Australia (annual report)