2049.0.55.001 - Information Paper - Methodology for Estimating Homelessness from the Census of Population and Housing, 2012  
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 05/09/2012  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All



This sub-group is an advisory group. The role of the methodology sub-group of HSRG is to provide recommendations to the HSRG regarding the methodology used for estimating the prevalence of Homelessness using Census of Population and Housing from 2001, 2006 and 2011. The sub-group should consider the work of the Definition sub-group in providing it advice and recommendations.

Advice on improving the enumeration, collection or estimation of homelessness in the 2016 Census of Population and Housing is out of scope for this sub-group and separate advice will be sort from members of HSRG.

The HSRG will consider the sub-group’s recommendations, and utilise them in formulating its advice to ABS.

The ABS will utilise the advice of the sub-group and the HSRG in the development of a final methodology for use in compiling official Homelessness statistics from these Censuses.


A paper outlining the key suggestions for change to the methodology, other options considered, and the reasons behind the decisions, to be presented to HSRG.


Members of the HSRG can elect to join or nominate someone to attend on their behalf to provide expert advice, from their particular perspective, concerning the methodology for estimating homelessness from the Census.


The methodology sub-group will be chaired by Mr Peter Harper or a delegate.

The sub-group will communicate via teleconference and email. The sub-group will commence in April 2012 and operate until May 2012. It will meet as often as required to progress the tasks within the required time frame. The frequency will be determined by the chair and the sub-group members.

The ABS will provide secretariat support for the methodology sub-group (circulating agendas, papers and documenting meeting outcomes). The ABS will cover reasonable teleconference costs for participants of non-government organisations.

The Chair will determine meeting agendas in consultation with sub-group members. Members are invited to suggest agenda items and contribute papers and other material for discussion.

Sub-group meeting papers and minutes will be considered public documents, unless otherwise stated.

Back to top of the page