Statistical Language! is an educational resource from the Australian Bureau of Statistics designed to improve the reader's understanding of some fundamental statistical concepts. It is written in plain English for adults and aims to provide them with the basic statistical literacy skills to:
- understand key statistical terminology;
- facilitate access to the expanding level of statistical information presented to the public;
- gain confidence with interpreting summarised information;
- appreciate the importance of statistical information in today’s society; and,
- make critical and informed use of data, whatever its source.
All these goals are at the heart of the ABS mission to assist informed decision-making in the Australian community.
Along with simple descriptions, this e-Magazine contains examples and diagrams to help users establish a basic understanding of the key statistical topics covered.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.