NAME OF COLLECTION
Economic Activity Survey
Data Management and Dissemination
Economy Wide Statistics Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
Locked Bag 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra 1300 135 070
Facsimile: Canberra 1300 135 211
Web site: <www.abs.gov.au>
To provide key measures on the performance of Australian industry, to be used by analysts in both the private and public sectors.
The scope of the Economic Activity Survey (EAS) consists of all business units in the Australian economy except for:
In the 1999-2000 survey, approximately 20,000 business units were surveyed. Some Economic Activity Survey data are derived from the Australian Bureau of Statistics Mining Collection. A separate entry is provided on the Mining Collection in this directory.
- agricultural businesses with an estimated value of agricultural operations less than $22,500;
- non-employing businesses, i.e. businesses which have not registered as group employers with the Australian Taxation Office; and
- businesses classified to the General Government sector (note: government-owned Public Trading Enterprises are included).
Data are collected by mail questionnaire and telephone interview.
The ABS register of businesses provided the population frame from which management units were selected for inclusion in the EAS.
In addition to directly collected data, some work has been done on incorporating Business Income Tax information and some experimental estimates have been derived on this basis (see an example table below).
Main data detail
Some of the data items which are available about the mining industry are:
Selected business averages and industry ratios are also available.
- number of operating businesses;
- sales of goods and services;
- cost of sales;
- interest income;
- labour costs;
- interest expenses;
- earnings before interest and tax;
- operating profit before tax;
- current assets;
- non-current assets;
- current liabilities;
- non-current liabilities;
- net worth;
- capital expenditure;
- gross operating surplus; and
- industry gross product replaced by industry value added from 1997-98 onwards.
Frequency of data availability
Year ended 30 June.
Data are available from 1990-91.
Products and services
Example of information available
- Special data services are available on request.
ECONOMIC ACTIVITY SURVEY - ESTIMATES - MINING
|Operating profit before tax|
|Industry gross product (a)|
|Industry value added (a)|
|Total operating expenses|
|Total operating income|
(a) IVA replaced IGP (from 1997/98 onwards).
n.a. not available.
ECONOMIC ACTIVITY SURVEY INCORPORATING INCOME TAX DATA - ESTIMATES, TOTAL SELECTED BUSINESSES - 1999-2000
Total operating income
Total operating expenses
Operating profit before tax
| Total mining|
| Coal mining|
| Oil and gas extraction|
| Metal ore Mining|
| Other mining|
| Services to mining|