NAME OF COLLECTION
Business Use of Information Technology
Science and Technology Statistics Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
PO Box 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra (02) 6252 7895
Facsimile: Canberra 1800 999 310
To provide information about business use of Information Technology in Australia.
Provides results from the ABS survey on the use of Information technology and telecommunications (IT&T) by employing businesses.
The survey results are based on a sample of 6,800 businesses recorded on the Australian Bureau of Statistics Business Register with the population frame consisting of all business units in the Australian Economy except for :
- agricultural businesses ( defined in Divison A of ANZSIC);
- education organisations ( defined in Divison N of ANZSIC);
- Businesses classified to the General Government Sector (noting that Public Trading Enterprises are included);
- Non-employing businesses in all industries.
IT&T in this publication refers to the services and technologies that enable information to be accessed, stored, processed, transformed, manipulated and disseminated. These include the following transmission media i.e. telephone, facsimile, Internet, data lines, satellite, microwave, radio etc.
Samples of data type include the following:
Frequency of data availability
1993-94, 1997-98. Will be produced annually from 1999-2000.
Products and services available
Business Use of Information Technology Australia (cat. no. 8129.0)
Some special data services are available on request.
- business use of Information Technology;
- business use of the Internet;
- staff use of Information Technology;
- Information Technology employment;
- business expenditure on Information Technology;