Navigates and controls the safe operation of ships and supervises and coordinates the activities of deck crew.
The entry requirement for this occupation is commensurate with an AQF Diploma or higher qualification and relevant experience in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- navigates the ship by supervising the ship's course and speed according to passage plan and safety
- directs the activities of the deck crew for navigational support tasks, berthing and unberthing, maintenance, cleaning and painting of superstructures, and repair and replacement of defective deck gear and equipment
- stands bridge watch
- maintains a safe lookout and ensures continued protection of marine environment
- prepares and maintains a complete and fully documented ship's passage plan and daily activity record
- plans and controls the storage and discharge of cargo and ballast
- transmits and receives routine and emergency information with shore stations and other ships by radio, morse lighting, code flags and pyrotechnics
- supervises the performance of safety drills and fire prevention and suppression activities, and ensures that firefighting, life saving, medical and signalling equipment is ready for immediate use
- monitors and advises on department budgets, physical resources and deck consumables
- may assume command in certain circumstances
Ship's Navigating Officer
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram