3322-01 Head Chef
Plans menus, estimates costs and supervises and coordinates the activities of Chefs and Cooks who prepare and cook food in catering and dining establishments.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans menus and advises chefs and cooks on sizes of portions and servings
- reviews labour and food costs and arranges menus according to budgets
- confers with customers regarding plans for special occasions, such as weddings and banquets
- arranges for equipment purchases and repairs
- examines supplies of foodstuffs to ensure quality
- consults with establishment management to discuss problems and plans
- demonstrates techniques and advises on cooking procedures
- may perform the tasks of a Chef