Environmental Health Officer
Develops, implements and evaluates environmental health policies, programs and issues, and oversees the implementation and monitoring of environmental health legislation.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- prepares and implements plans and strategies for the safe, economic and hygienic disposal of commercial, medical and household wastes
- advises on and implements safety and prevention programs for communicable diseases, food hygiene, waste water and treatment disposal systems, swimming pools, and contaminated and hazardous substances
- develops, implements and reviews environmental health emergency management plans and occupational health and safety plans
- oversees all health aspects of food hygiene, such as transport, storage, preparation, serving and disposal of food
- develops and implements programs minimising air, sea, water and noise pollution
- develops, implements and coordinates environmental health education and health promotion programs
- oversees and advises on environmental health legislation and recommends corrective actions