Plans, directs, coordinates and performs planting, cultivating and harvesting activities to grow flowering and foliage plants.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and manages the production and marketing of flowering and foliage plants from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- conducts soil analyses, site assessments, prepares and maintains growing media and sites
- selects suitable plants and bulbs for growing, harvests crops, grades and stores picked flowers, bunches and packages flowers for market
- controls temperature, light and humidity in greenhouses to maintain optimal growing conditions
- maintains crop by weeding, identifying and treating pests and diseases, debudding, fertilising and watering plants
- maintains farm and nursery buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of produce
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors