2311-11 General Medical Practitioner
Diagnoses, treats and prevents human physical and mental disorders and injuries.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and one years hospital-based training. Registration or licensing is required.
- conducts examinations and questions patients to determine the nature of disorders or illnesses and records patients' medical information
- orders and performs laboratory tests, X-rays and other diagnostic images and procedures and analyses findings
- provides overall care for patients and prescribes and administers treatments, medications and other remedial measures
- inoculates patients to prevent communicable diseases
- advises patients on diet, exercise, hygiene and other health matters
- provides pre and post-natal care
- reports births, deaths and notifiable diseases to government authorities
- refers patients to medical specialists and exchanges relevant medical details
- arranges the admission of patients to hospital
- may deliver babies or perform minor surgical procedures