Registered Developmental Disability Nurse
Registered Mental Retardation Nurse
Provides nursing care to people with intellectual disabilities.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- provides care, advocacy and therapeutic and supporting relationships for people with intellectual disabilities
- provides comprehensive assessments of people's physical and personal growth
- gives direct nursing care to people with intellectual disabilities and encourages and develops self-help skills
- administers, supervises and monitors prescribed medications and initiates appropriate interventions as required
- maintains medical files, such as progress notes, treatment sheets and drug registers
- interprets, implements and evaluates nursing policies, codes of ethics or conduct, current legislation and statutory regulations
- delivers education, research findings and health promotion programs, within a developmental disability framework