UNIT GROUP 4123 FORGING TRADESPERSONS
FORGING TRADESPERSONS heat and hammer metal to shape, and make or repair metal articles, including horseshoes.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- selecting metal stock for job requirements
- heating metal in forges or furnaces
- hammering, punching or cutting metal to join parts using hand tools or machine presses
- tempering and hardening finished articles by quenching in oil or water baths or by cooling gradually in air
- preparing horses' hooves for shoeing, nailing horseshoes to hoofs and trimming hoofs