Plans and organises the conservation of materials and objects in libraries, archives, museums, art galleries and other institutions.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- examines items to confirm and assess their identity, condition and authenticity
- analyses the causes and extent of deterioration and recommends remedial action
- implements and records conservation and restoration treatment
- advises on storage conditions, handling methods and the acquisition of materials and equipment
- assesses collections and prepares reports of conservation plans and activities
- conducts lectures, demonstrations and training programs on preservation and conservation techniques
- undertakes research and develops techniques, procedures and standards for protection, treatment, restoration and preservation
- coordinates the activities of workers engaged in the repair, treatment, restoration and preservation of items
- may specialise in the conservation of paper, audio-visual and art objects and other natural and cultural materials