Refrigeration and Airconditioning Mechanic
Assembles, installs, maintains and repairs refrigeration and airconditioning systems.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- establishes job requirements from drawings and specifications, and lays out installation reference points
- drills holes, installs mounting brackets and cuts, bends and threads piping
- installs components such as compressors, motors, condensers, evaporators, switches and gauges, and copper lines for steam, gas, refrigerant, compressed air, fuel, oil and chilled water
- bolts, solders, rivets, welds or brazes pipes to connect equipment, and checks alignment and accuracy of fit
- fills systems with gas or fluid to check for leaks
- removes test gas or fluid using vacuum pumps and fills with refrigerant
- test-operates refrigeration systems, checks mechanisms and makes adjustments
- checks and overhauls refrigeration systems, diagnoses faults and repairs or replaces defective components
- adjusts system controls and mechanisms and reassembles systems
- records causes of malfunctioning and action taken