Assists individuals, groups and communities to attain, maintain and promote health through good diet and nutrition.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
- provides nutrition assessments, nutrition management, nutrition education, research and training
- collects, organises and assesses data relating to health and nutrition
- plans diets and menus and instructs people on the requirements and importance of prescribed and normal diets, and on the planning and preparation of food
- consults with other health professionals and related workers on nutrition, including controlled diets for people with special needs
- monitors food intake and quality of food to provide nutritional care
- plans, conducts and evaluates nutrition intervention programs and compiles educational material
- may provide nutrition counselling services and act as consultants to private hospitals and nursing homes
- may conduct and evaluate dietary studies and participate in research on nutritional related matters
- may advise on product development or redevelopment, marketing and sales strategies and provide food and nutrition information
- may develop and administer food and nutrition policies