2126-11 Mechanical Engineer
Plans, designs, organises and oversees the assembly, erection, operation and maintenance of mechanical and process plant and installations.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- designs mechanical equipment, machinery, components, products for manufacture; and plant and systems for construction
- develops specifications for manufacture, determining materials, equipment, piping, material flows, capacities and layout of plant or systems
- organises and manages project labour and the delivery of materials, plant and equipment
- establishes detailed programs for the coordination of project activities
- sets up work control systems to ensure that standards of performance, quality, cost and safety are met
- administers contracts and verifies and certifies satisfactory completion
- supervises the functioning of manufacturing process plants such as coal handling installations, power station steam generating systems, and sewerage and water supply pumping stations
- supervises in consultation with other engineers the testing and commissioning of completed works
- may specialise in research in areas such as utilisation of energy, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics and environmental controls