Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming operations to grow tobacco.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and manages the production and marketing of tobacco from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- selects and purchases seeds for planting and transplants seedlings into paddocks using tractor-drawn planters
- harvests tobacco using agricultural equipment and places harvested tobacco leaves in racks for curing in a bulk curing barn
- controls temperature, moisture and air movement through the tobacco leaves during curing
- directs and oversees general farming activities such as baling tobacco in accordance with grade schedules, fertilising, pest and weed control
- maintains farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of produce
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors