UNIT GROUP 4116 MASSAGE THERAPISTS
MASSAGE THERAPISTS perform therapeutic massage and administer body treatments for health, fitness and remedial purposes.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- massaging the soft tissues of the body, such as muscles, tendons and ligaments, to assist healing
- utilising a range of massage techniques to enhance sports performance and prevent injury
- administering treatments to promote relaxation, improve circulation and relieve muscle tension
- assessing and treating specific soft tissue dysfunction and providing rehabilitation advice
- employing other techniques, such as acupressure or Shiatsu, and complementary aids, such as infra-red lamps, wet compresses, ice, essential oils and herbal and mineral therapies, to assist recovery
- assessing client's physical condition and case history and advising on stretching exercises and relaxation techniques
411611 MASSAGE THERAPIST
Performs therapeutic massage and administers body treatments for relaxation, health, fitness and remedial purposes.
Skill Level: 2
Chinese (Tui-Na) Masseur
Sports Medicine Masseur