DIVISION J – INFORMATION MEDIA AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
The Information Media and Telecommunications Division includes units mainly engaged in:
Information products are defined as those which are not necessarily tangible, and, unlike traditional goods, are not associated with a particular form. The value of the information products is embedded in their content rather than in the format in which they are distributed. For example, a movie can be screened at a cinema, telecast on television or copied to video for sale or rental. The division includes some activities that primarily create, enhance and disseminate information products, subject to copyright.
- creating, enhancing and storing information products in media that allows for their dissemination;
- transmitting information products using analogue and digital signals (via electronic, wireless, optical and other means);
- and providing transmission services and/or operating the infrastructure to enable the transmission and storage of information and information products.
It is the intangible nature of the information products which determines their unique dissemination process, which may include via a broadcast, electronic means, or physical form. They do not usually require direct contact between the supplier/producer and the consumer, which distinguishes them from distribution activities included in the Wholesale Trade and Retail Trade Divisions.
Excluded from the division are units mainly engaged in:
- the mass storage or duplication of information products such as printing newspapers, CDs, DVDs, etc. (Manufacturing Division);
- purchasing and on-selling information products in their tangible form (Wholesale Trade and Retail Trade Divisions);
- providing specialised computer services such as programming and systems design services, graphic design services and advertising services, as well as gathering, tabulating and presenting marketing and opinion data (Professional, Scientific and Technical Services Division);
- providing a range of creative artistic activities such as the creation of an artistic original (e.g. a painting), or the provision of a live musical performance by a group or artist (Arts and Recreation Services Division); and
- units undertaking a range of activities such as directing, acting, writing and performing (Arts and Recreation Services Division).
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram