2533-17 Interior Designer
Plans and designs interiors for buildings, offices and homes, with consideration to layout, function, aesthetics and safety.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- consults with clients to determine needs, preferences and expectations
- analyses functional requirements, desired effect and purpose of the interior
- sketches plans of areas showing arrangement of space, furniture and accessories
- estimates costs and materials required and presents plans and quotes to clients for approval
- selects or recommends purchases of decorative and functional materials and accessories such as furniture, lighting fixtures and paintings
- directs workers engaged in on-site implementation of proposed scheme
- uses computer-aided design systems as part of the design process and for consultation with clients
- designs original furnishings and joinery to conform with proposed scheme
- may work with architects in the preparation of plans
- may design interiors for ships, aircraft or other transport vehicles