2231-11 Systems Manager
Controls the operating effectiveness of information technology systems, and arranges system maintenance and enhancements to meet user requirements.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- consults with administrative and technical staff to determine information needs, data flows and system definitions
- establishes and controls system access and security
- coordinates protocols for operation within multi-user information technology networks providing voice, data and text transmission
- monitors and optimises system performance and initiates recoveries after system failures
- implements data back-up and other system housekeeping procedures
- manages the distribution and retention of data on storage devices
- coordinates system updates and replacement of old versions
- maintains data dictionaries and advises users on data structures and terminology
- assists in testing new equipment and systems
- prepares technical reports on the operation of systems
- estimates costs of systems and prepares cost-benefit analyses
- may coordinate the work of support staff
- may provide training in system use and access