4124-11 Sheetmetal Worker (First Class)
Marks out, shapes, forms and joins sheetmetal and other materials to make products or components.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies blueprints, drawings or specifications to determine job, material and equipment requirements
- selects metal stock, such as stainless steel, galvanised iron, mild steel, aluminium, copper and other materials, and checks sizes, gauges and other dimensions of material relative to specifications
- marks out stock with reference points and lines, using templates, gauges and other measuring instruments
- cuts material along guidelines using hand or power shears, guillotines or drills
- shapes and forms cut material into products using folding or bending machines, rollers, presses or hammers
- fits and assembles components into final products by welding, riveting, soldering, brazing or otherwise joining
- polishes, files, sands or cleans assembled products
- may repair damaged sheetmetal products and components
- may specialise in fabrication, or on-site assembly and installation, of sheetmetal products
- may produce aircraft sheet metal components requiring advanced drawing and calculating skills
- may specialise in decorative copperwork