2542-13 Master Fisher
Controls fishing operations to catch and preserve fish, crustacea and molluscs.
The entry requirement for this occupation is commensurate with an AQF Diploma or higher qualification and relevant experience in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- directs fishing operations by using knowledge about the species sought, fishing grounds, seasons and the capabilities of vessel and crew
- plots courses and computes positions using navigational aids
- operates radio, radar, sonar, echo sounder and other navigational and fishing aids
- monitors and interprets weather patterns and obtains radio weather forecasts
- uses nets, lines, poles, pots and traps at varying depths to catch fish, molluscs and crustacea
- supervises and assists crew in fishing operations and sorting, cleaning, preserving, stowing and refrigerating the catch
- supervises and assists in the loading, unloading and storage of supplies, equipment and catch
- records daily activities in ships' logs, keeps accounts and maintains records of catch
- inspects vessels and gear to ensure proper maintenance and oversees repair or replacement of defective items
- may harvest shellfish from sea bed using towed dredges or rakes