Provides specialist medical services to children from birth up to and including adolescence.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification, one years hospital-based training, and at least 5 years specialist study and training. Registration or licensing is required.
- diagnoses, treats, manages and prevents medical and developmental disorders in children and adolescents
- promotes positive health and disease prevention in childhood and adolescence
- advises on immunisation against communicable diseases
- advises about preventative health practices
- liaises with other health, education and welfare agencies
- may practice as a general paediatrician or specialise in areas such as paediatric oncology, paediatric cardiology or paediatric neurology
Paediatric Thoracic Physician