2231-19 Systems Programmer
Writes, maintains and updates programs which control the overall functioning of computers.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- develops specifications for enhancements in the operation of computer and telecommunications system software
- determines program design, and writes system programs in computer languages or machine code
- tests the validity and logic of system programs
- modifies, amends and updates software programs and database structures
- prepares documentation on the use of system software by other information technology personnel
- may contribute to the development of new software in a mainframe, personal computer or local area network environment
Database Programmer (Systems)