2124-11 Civil Engineer
Plans, designs, organises and oversees the construction and operation of civil engineering projects such as structural, transportation or hydraulic engineering systems.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- designs civil engineering projects such as hydraulic systems, roads, aerodromes, water supply systems, bridges and buildings
- studies, evaluates and reports on the environmental implications of projects
- determines construction methods, materials and quality standards
- drafts and interprets specifications, drawings, plans, construction methods and procedures
- organises and directs site labour and the delivery of construction materials, plant and equipment
- administers contracts and verifies and certifies satisfactory completion
- establishes detailed programs for the coordination of site activities
- sets up work control systems to ensure that standards of performance, quality, cost and safety are met
- consults with other engineers, architects, landscape architects and environmental scientists
- researches, investigates and evaluates materials, processes or systems related to civil engineering works
- supervises the testing and commissioning of completed works