7913-15 Structural Steel Erector
Erects and dismantles structural steel frames of buildings or other structures.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience. Registration or licensing may be required.
- unloads and sorts structural steel and equipment by directing crane operators
- sets up winches, cranes and rigging equipment to raise and position girders, plates, columns and other steel units
- erects guard rails, guy wires, ropes and cleats
- lays planks and hangs safety nets
- fastens steel units to cables of hoists
- directs hoist operators to position steel units according to specifications and blueprints
- works steel units into approximate position while they are supported by hoists
- cuts and shapes steel units using welding equipment
- aligns and bolts steel units in place until permanently bolted or welded
- verifies horizontal and vertical alignment and angles
- may erect cranes