TOURIST ACCOMMODATION, SMALL AREA DATA
|This product presents results from the September quarter 2012 Survey of Tourist Accommodation (STA) for the following categories of establishments:
- hotels and resorts with 15 or more rooms
- motels, private hotels and guest houses with 15 or more rooms
- serviced apartments with 15 or more units
Data provide information on the supply of, and demand for, tourist accommodation facilities. Data include number of establishments, capacity and employment for the quarter and occupancy and takings from accommodation for each month; by type of establishment and by star grading.
|The September quarter 2012 release of STA data is the third to incorporate the Australian Statistical Geography Standard (ASGS) as the geographical framework for the collection. Detailed information on the transition of the STA to the ASGS and how the data has been impacted by this change is contained in Information Paper: Future Changes to Tourist Accommodation, Australia (cat. no. 8635.0.55.003).|
A summary of the main changes resulting from the move to ASGS are:
- Small area data is now produced at Statistical Area Level 2 (SA2), replacing Statistical Local Areas (SLA).
- Tourism Regions (TRs) are constructed from allocations of SA2s and as a result have changed. For some TRs, these changes are minimal.
- Data for Local Government Areas (LGAs) and Special area - Brisbane City Core are no longer produced.
To assist users transition to the new geography, this product contains data on both the ASGS and the ASGC geographic frameworks.
For further information on Tourism Accommodation statistics, including implementation of the ASGS in the Tourist Accommodation collection or changes to outputs, please contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070.