The ABS provides information on Australia's international trade in goods and services in three publications:
Estimates may be revised between the monthly estimates in cat. no. 5368.0, the preliminary estimates in this publication and the quarterly estimates in cat. no. 5302.0. The December quarter issue of Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) will be released on 4 March 2014.
PRELIMINARY CURRENT PRICE ESTIMATES OF BALANCE ON GOODS AND SERVICES
- International Trade in Goods and Services, Australia (cat. no. 5368.0) provides monthly current price estimates for both credits (exports) and debits (imports).
- This publication provides the following selected broad level preliminary quarterly estimates for the current quarter:
- current price estimates of the balance on goods and services, and
- chain volume measures and price indexes for goods debits.
- Balance of Payments and International Investment Position, Australia (cat. no. 5302.0) provides quarterly estimates in current prices, chain volume measures and price indexes for goods and services credits and debits plus the full balance of payments and international investment position in current prices.
- In seasonally adjusted current price terms, the balance on goods and services was a surplus of $247m in the December quarter 2013, a turnaround of $2,919m on the revised September quarter 2013 deficit of $2,672m. The main components contributing to the turnaround to surplus were:
PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES OF CHAIN VOLUME MEASURES AND PRICE INDEXES FOR GOODS DEBITS (footnote 1, footnote 2)
- goods credits, up $2,420m (4%)
- metal ores and minerals, up $1,615m (7%)
- coal, coke and briquettes, up $764m (8%).
- services credits, up $194m (1%)
- goods debits, down $137m
- capital goods n.e.s., down $374m (10%)
- machinery and industrial equipment, down $270m (5%)
- parts for transport equipment, down $228m (9%)
- industrial transport equipment n.e.s., down $208m (9%)
- fuels and lubricant, up $948m (10%).
- services debits, down $168m (1%)
- transport, down $180m (4%).
- In seasonally adjusted terms, goods imports volumes fell 0.4% and the implicit price deflator rose 0.2% during the December quarter 2013.
- In original terms, the chain Laspeyres price index fell 0.6% and the implicit price deflator fell 0.4%.
For further information contact Val Tot on Canberra (02) 6252 5540.
1 Reference year for chain volume measures and price index is 2011–12. See paragraphs 16 to 18 of the Explanatory Notes
2 In this commentary movements in indexes are based on data to four decimal places.