Retail turnover rises 0.4 per cent in August
Australian retail turnover rose 0.4 per cent in August 2016, seasonally adjusted, according to the latest Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Retail Trade figures.
This follows a relatively unchanged (0.0 per cent) July 2016.
In seasonally adjusted terms, the largest rise was in department stores (3.5 per cent), which followed a fall in July of 5.8 per cent. There were also seasonally adjusted rises in cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (1.2 per cent), food retailing (0.3 per cent) and household goods retailing (0.2 per cent). There were falls in other retailing (-0.6 per cent) and clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (-0.4 per cent).
In seasonally adjusted terms, there were rises in Victoria (0.7 per cent), New South Wales (0.5 per cent), Queensland (0.7 per cent), South Australia (0.4 per cent) and the Australian Capital Territory (0.7 per cent). There were falls in Western Australia (-0.5 per cent), Northern Territory (-0.5 per cent) and Tasmania (-0.1 per cent).
The trend estimate for Australian retail turnover rose 0.1 per cent in August 2016 following a 0.1 per cent rise in July 2016. Compared to August 2015 the trend estimate rose 2.6 per cent.
Online retail turnover contributed 3.3 per cent to total retail turnover in original terms.
More detailed industry analysis and further information on the statistical methodology is available in Retail Trade, Australia (cat no. 8501.0).
- For a detailed definition of each industry group and subgroup in terms of its ANZSIC 2006 classes, please refer to paragraph 6 of the Explanatory Notes.
- Estimates of online retail turnover are only available in original terms and are not available in seasonally adjusted or trend terms.
- When reporting ABS data, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or ABS) must be attributed as the source.
- For media requests and interviews, contact the ABS Communications Section on 1300 175 070 (8.30am - 5pm Mon-Fri).
- Subscribe to our email notification service and get media releases or products sent to you on release.