DECEMBER KEY FIGURES
Nov '06 to Dec '06
Dec '05 to Dec '06
|Short-term visitor arrivals |
|Seasonally adjusted |
|Short-term resident departures |
|Seasonally adjusted |
|. . not applicable |
Visitor arrivals, Short-term
Resident departures, Short-term
DECEMBER KEY POINTS
- Trend estimates for short-term visitor arrivals to Australia during December 2006 (470,600 movements) increased by 0.6% compared with November 2006. This followed monthly increases of 0.9% each for October 2006 and November 2006.
- Currently, short-term visitor arrivals are 4.0% higher than when the series last troughed in June 2006 (452,500 movements) and 2.8% higher than in December 2005.
- During December 2006, short-term resident departures (422,000 movements) increased by 0.4% compared with November 2006. This followed monthly increases of 0.4% for October 2006 and 0.6% for November 2006.
- Currently, short-term resident departures are 7.7% higher than in December 2005.
SEASONALLY ADJUSTED ESTIMATES
- Seasonally adjusted estimates for short-term visitor arrivals during December 2006 (482,400 movements) increased by 3.3% compared with November 2006 and followed a monthly increase of 0.9% for October 2006 and a monthly decrease of 0.3% for November 2006.
- Short-term resident departures for December 2006 (431,600 movements) increased by 4.5% compared with November 2006 and followed a monthly increase of 2.8% for October 2006 and a monthly decrease of 2.2% for November 2006.
- In original movement terms, there were 643,400 short-term visitor arrivals to Australia and 569,200 short-term resident departures from Australia during December 2006.
|ISSUE ||Release Date|
|January 2007 ||7 March 2007|
|February 2007 ||5 April 2007|
|March 2007 ||9 May 2007|
|April 2007 ||5 June 2007|
|May 2007 ||6 July 2007|
|June 2007 ||3 August 2007|
Early estimates of short-term visitor arrivals for January 2007 will be available on the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) web site on 16 February 2007. These estimates can be accessed by going to the ABS web site at <https://www.abs.gov.au>. Select All statistics - Access to all ABS products & statistics, then By Catalogue Number, then 3. Demography, then 34. Migration. Choose Short-term Visitor Arrival Estimates, Australia (cat. no. 3401.0.55.001).
This publication contains movement data. Care should be taken when interpreting this movement data as 'people'. See paragraph 5 of the Explanatory Notes for more detail.
The statistics in this publication have been rounded to the nearest 100 for short-term movements and to the nearest 10 for permanent and long-term movements. As a result, sums of the components may not add exactly to totals. Analysis featured in the Key Points and Main Features of this publication is based on unrounded data. Calculations made on rounded data may differ to those published.
CHANGES IN THE ISSUE
There are no changes in this issue.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact the National Information and Referral Service on 1300 135 070 or Anne Ward on Canberra (02) 6252 6871.