3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Dec 2012 Quality Declaration
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 20/06/2013
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
Australia's population growing stronger
Australia's population grew by 1.8 per cent during 2012, returning to the strong growth seen three years ago, according to figures released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) today.
Western Australia continued to lead the nation with an annual increase of 3.5 per cent, the highest of any state or territory, to reach 2.47 million by the end of December 2012. It also had the highest population growth by percentage over the ten years from 2002-2012, increasing by 27.6 per cent or 534,100 people.
The lowest growth rate was in Tasmania where the population increased by just 0.1 per cent to reach 512,400.
The Director of ABS Demography, Bjorn Jarvis, said the increase in Australia’s population growth rate is being driven by net overseas migration.
“Net overseas migration added 235,900 people to the population in 2012, which is a 17 per cent increase over 2011,” he said.
“Net overseas migration accounted for 60 per cent of Australia's total growth, with the remaining 40 per cent due to natural increase. Notably, 2012 also saw a 4 per cent rise in natural increase, which is the largest increase in almost four years.”
Victoria had the highest increase in natural increase for the year ending 31 December 2012, increasing by 18.6% (or 6,500 people).
The number of births increased by 2.2 per cent over the past year whilst the number of deaths increased by 0.2 per cent.
The ABS is seeking feedback on a new short and simple video presentation about the latest demography stats. The video gives you an overview of how the population has changed in Australia and within the states and territories. Please have a look and tell us what you think.
You can view the video at the following link from 12:30pm today - http://betaworks.abs.gov.au/betaworks/betaworks.nsf/dx/demography.htm
For the full publication please see 3101.0 Australian Demographic Statistics, December 2012 Australian Demographic Statistics, December Quarter 2012 (cat. no. 3101.0). This release also includes information on population change over the past five years and the past 20 years.
For population estimates at the regional level, please see Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 3218.0) and Population by Age and Sex, Regions of Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 3235.0). Available for free download from www.abs.gov.au
When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.